Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Blessed Life...

Today, we went to "Art in the Park" at Lakeview Park in Nampa.  We saw many many booths, lots of fun stuff!  :)

One booth we saw that was cool was an artist named "Non" Reyes.  Mr. Reyes was involved in a motor vehicle accident 22 years ago that left him paralyzed from his shoulders down and unable to breathe on his own.  The story goes on to say that several months after the accident, his young son asked Non to scratch his back, and Non was trying to decide how to tell his son he couldn't do it.  His son, seeing his father's difficulty, said, " With your whiskers, Daddy."  He then climbed up on his father's chest so Non could scratch his son's back with his chin.  He was inspired then to be positive.  I read this story and was brought to tears by this sweet 3 year old child's ability to help his daddy see what COULD be done instead of what couldn't.

I purchased a beautiful print with birch trees in fall colors after agonizing between that and one of a scene with pine trees and a creek.  I got home and showed the kids the print of this painting done by Non with his mouth and read the story to them.  My sweet 17 year old son with autism said, "He has a really blessed life!"

If you knew this kid, you'd know that it's not a normal thing for him to recognize his own blessings, let alone the blessings of others.  This is my child whom I was told would never drive or live independently.  I am SO grateful for him and his insight today.  Thank you, Heavenly Father, for lending me this child who teaches me constantly.

If you are interested in Non's work, I've left a link below.  Enjoy.


Mouth Art

No comments:

Post a Comment